All times are UTC

Post subject: LOOPBACK - HP J680- initial results
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:29 pm 
Seems like I have not posted in a while.

Well, my impressions regarding loopback.

1. Look'n'Feel

'Installation' is dead simple, should work in all cases and is incomparably easier and faster then installer not to mention manual installation. I love the possibility to choose which image to boot, booting time is not really longer then usually (at least you do not feel it being entertained by initrd messages). Suspend, kernel interface etc seem to work fine.

2. Usability / Performance
Well... 680 is dead slow anyway. For me, beyond a certain limit it does not matter if it takes, say, 30 or 60 seconds to start Abiword (it takes about 7 seconds to start the terminal, 16 to start dillo and 50-60 to start abiword). It could behave better with swap on. (whether swap gives performance boost or just more stability is disputable).

Also, I have the 'second hand watch impression' (if you have a watch with a second hand and look at it, the first second appears to last longer then any subsequent) - i.e if I tap 'IceWM' for the first time, it takes noticeably more time for the menu to open than when I tap for the second time. Also, any command typed in the terminal for the first time takes a little longer.

3. Conclusion.
I'd gladly discuss any possible tweaks that can be introduced to improve responsiveness. I think that loopback is the best solution we have currently, and should aim to improve it.

Ta-dam!

Post subject: Re: LOOPBACK - HP J680- initial results
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:31 am 
Core Developer

fijam wrote:
(it takes about 7 seconds to start the terminal, 16 to start dillo and 50-60 to start abiword)

*faints*

That's pretty damn slow!

Offline Profile