All times are UTC

Post subject: patched orinoco drivers enable monitor mode (SUCCESS)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:49 pm 
JLime Guru User
JLime Guru User

Hi there!

I suscefully compiled the orinoco/hermes drivers patched drivers found in that url http://www.projectiwear.org/~plasmahh/orinoco.html.

The ones that work without any problem in the 2.6.17 kernel of our jornadas is the 0.13e rev.14.
I use this drivers instead of the officials ones becouse some with some lucent firmware (as mine) the actual version of the driver doesn't allow monitor mode nor even a simple iwlist scan.

So after following this crosscompile Howto and apply the 2.6.17 kernel patch/es (I think Kristoffer must update this part of the tutorial couse still based on the 2.6.16 kernel) I untar direcly the content of the 0.13e rev.14 patched driver into the kernel source code (drivers/net/wireless) and TARAAA custom drivers for our little machine.

After this, you must put the .ko an .o files in this directory on the /lib/modules/2.6.17/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/ or our pretty little (and now powerful wireless sniffer :) ) machine, and when the module orinoco load again you will have a monitor enabled orinoco card.

After some stress test with kismet I have found some "isues" (better this isues that doen't work at all of course :D )
After some time using the channel hopping feature it continues working but it blocks in only one or two channels. Quiting kismet , unplug/plug the card , restart kismet solves this.

And after using kismet (and I soupouse any time you put the card in monitor mode) you must unplug/plug the card to make work properly again.

For more info my card is a NEC PC-WL/11C very cheap buyed through ebay directly in HonKong and I'm using the Kicking ass Icewn Userland from B_lizzard

If some one is interested on this drivers compliled for sh3 please let me know

Next step configure wpa_supplicant for my network(wpa tKip) and maybe the office network(more strong a encryption using certificates, cloacked an a lot of things more, but not invisible jejej kismet have see it, )

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:23 pm 
Nice to hear it. Please note that some orinoco cards leave prominiscuos mode without trouble, so ejecting/inserting the card is not always necessary. Also, I had no troubles with chanel hopping so it probably depends on the card.

However, if you'd like to volunteer you have a great possibility. We are making an article database and none of the devs I spoke to has access to a wpa-enabled wireless network. If you could write a howto on connecting jornada to such a network, I would be grateful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:40 pm 
JLime Guru User
JLime Guru User

Yes, I know there are orinoco based cards that not need those tricky things, It depends on the firmware the card use (older versions 6.xx seems better than the newer ones 7.xx or 8.xx).

OK fijam I will report (if success or not ) , I will be glad to be useful. :D

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:02 am 
JLime Guru User
JLime Guru User

Only notify that the compiled drivers for 680/690 jornadas are uploaded in this url http://neptune.net.pl/bkpatchedwireless.zip (thanks to ch4os , that have reported that is a happy kismet user now with a orinoco classic gold with 8.72 lucent/agree firmware).

he advise this is a "personal" server and maybe you will find it a little bit slow (if you find it fit with the criteria to, some one can upload this to the development server )

below are the instructions to "install" the driver,
BEWARE this is EXPERIMENTAL so take care

Hi ,

first of all you better backup the files under
/lib/modules/2.6.17/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/

#mkdir ~/bkwdriv
#cp -R
/lib/modules/2.6.17/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/*
~/bkwdriv

then unzip the atached file
be sure nor the card is inserted and neither the
modules is are loaded
#lsmod
if some orinoco apears after lsmod then use
#modprobe -r orinoco_cs
to unload them

and copy all the files you have just uncompress inside
/lib/modules/2.6.17/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/

insert the card and "voila" the patched drivers will
be loaded.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:51 pm 
I am glad to confirm this patch corrected mi BENQ WiFi card. I am back in wireless connection.
Only one manual attention I have mad in my /etc/network/interfaces file = changing essid from 'any' value into my AP value.
This post have been made using my Jornada 690 connected via air :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:25 am 
JLime Guru User
JLime Guru User

P3T3 I'm really happy to have been able to made something useful, is the nearest thing to "kernel hacking" (well I have only compile a driver, you can see that my nearest thing is not really much closer to kernel hacking but time to time)I have done, and I'm happy that my first attempt have been used by (confirmed) 2 people . So Let's see if with the new kernel can be mantained

Thanks to all that make jlime posible

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: patched orinoco drivers enable monitor mode (SUCCESS)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:03 am 
JLime Newbie
JLime Newbie

I was unable to download new http://pass-4sure.me/ kernel sources from the jornada. 8)

Offline Profile